Yes, you can find beautiful flower fields in Hong Kong! Besides the gorgeous sunflower field in San Tin Farm, not too far from there, can you find these beautiful purple flowers of Water Hyacinth in full blossom in Yuen Long. The whole pond is full of blooming water hyacinth, a great place for photos taking!
The story of water hyacinth
Water hyacinthalso is known as water floating lotus, crocus lotus, pig lotus… They have no natural enemies, so their reproduction speed is very fast. It was used to feed pigs, that is why it is also known as pig’s lotus. Water hyacinth is originally from tropical and subtropical South America. It can absorb toxic substances in the water which is good, however, it is also a plant that harms natural ecology – it blocks sunlight and oxygen from entering the water, all animals and plants under the water will die of oxygen; also, they are massive and will block waterways and disrupt water transportation. See? Pretty things can be very destructive, making people love and hate them at the same time.
Viewing water hyacinth
Water hyacinth blooms and dies every day. It takes a bit of luck to see the flowers. The blooming time is short, about one to two weeks, usually in May and October. I originally planned to check it out when I heard the booming on the internet in mid-May, but I didn’t want to go there on Saturdays and Sundays. So I had been waiting for good weather, unfortunately, the weather has been pretty unstable for the last 2 weeks. Finally, I decided to try my luck on 1st of June.
I arrived at Shing Uk Tsuen (盛屋村) at about 11 o’clock and walked along the road to the pond. Following a sign, I walked for 30 to 35 minutes. Unfortunately, the pond that bloomed two weeks ago has no more flowers. Fortunately, I asked other people who were also looking for the flowers. They took us to a pond near the minibus terminal where we started. Although this pond is not as big or attractive as another one, the pond is covered with blooming water hyacinth, a sea of floating purple flowers, it was a refreshing view. It also made us feel so good just to see the flowers under the heat.
There are many ponds in Shing Uk Tsuen (盛屋村) in Yuen Long, and the blooming time of the flowers is also different. You need to ask others to get the latest information when you arrive. The flower in the pond is a bit far from people, so you can only watch the flowers from a distance. Because there is a certain distance from the flower, it is recommended to take a long-focus lens to shoot, especially when you need to shoot portraits with flowers as background or closeup of the flower.
Besides Shing Uk Tsuen in Yuen Long, you can also find water hyacinth in places such as Gudong in Sheung Shui, and Shuiwei Village in Kam Tin. I will share it with you when the time comes, don’t forgot to like my Facebook page for the latest news!
Angel’s shooting gear
Lens：FE 24-240mm F3.5-6.3 OSS
Because I knew there was a distance from the flower, I took a lens with a longer focal length. However, it is still not enough to take a close-up of the flower, I guess you need more than 400mm, and F2.8 to take beautiful close-ups with bokeh. I have an excuse to buy a new lens now! 🙈
If you want me to take portraits or wedding photos of you anywhere around the world, please email to email@example.com for enquiry.
You may check out my portfolio here: http://www.angelhophotography.com
Location of water hyacinth flower field
⚠️Location is only for reference, please ask around where the flower is when you arrive⚠️
The purple flower is the blooming position in mid-May 2020, and it takes 35-45 minutes to walk after getting off the minibus.
The red flower is the blooming position of the flower when I visit on June 1, 2020. It takes 10 minutes to walk after getting off the minibus.
You may search Shing Uk Tsuen in google map and find this map of Fung Lok Wai pond:
- Protect nature
Keep nature clean and don’t leave trash anywhere.
- Do not pick flowers.
- It is pretty hot in summer. Remember to bring enough water, wear a hat and apply sunscreen to avoid getting heatstroke.
- After arriving, ask other people for the latest flower location.
- This place is not too far from the gorgeous sunflower field in San Tin Farm. Sun flower blossom in late May to July. If time allows, you can arrange to visit the two places on the same day.
Like Travel with Angel Facebook to get the latest news on awesome places in HK
Transportation to Shing Uk Tsuen
- At the minibus terminus at Fuk Hong Street, Yuen Long City Centre, take the minibus No. 74 to Shing Uk Tsuen and get off at the terminus of Shing Uk Tsuen, walk down along the road at the Yaji Shan Restaurant and then walk towards the ponds.
- Take Bus No. K68 at Exit E, Long Ping Station, west rail line, head towards the Industrial Village, and get off at the “Yau Sang Galvanizers (Hot-Dip) Co Ltd” station. Entering along Fushun Street and walk towards the ponds.
- Take a taxi from Long Ping Station to Shing Uk Tsuen Minibus Terminal, it costs around HKD$35.
Hope you can see beautiful blossom and enjoy the flower as much as I did! Good luck! ♥️
Guess you may also like
- 【Hong Kong】Rooftop bar recommendation：SKYE – Amazing Victoria Habour view for sunset
- 【Hong Kong】Hiking to Tung Yeung Shan – Autumn Silvergrass(plus tip to reach the top of the mountain in 10 mins）
- 【Hong Kong】Easy hike to take postcard photos of Hong Kong – High West Peak sunset and Lugard road night view(with photography tips)
- 【Hong Kong】Sea of purple flowers water hyacinth in blossom at Yuen Long
- 【Hong Kong】Sai Kung Jin Island, Goldfish Wagging Tail adventure
- 【Hong Kong】A hidden gem – “Hot spring” island